Extracts from

Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire 1941

CODNOR is an ecclesiastical parish and with Loscoe, forms a civil parish, which by an Order of the County Council and by Local Government Board Order No. 39,199, which came into operation 1st April, 1899, was included in the Urban District of Heanor. It is 5 miles south-east from Alfreton, 6 north-east from Belper, 2 west from Heanor, 2 east from Ripley, 9 from Derby and 11 from Nottingham, in the llkeston division of the county, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, petty sessional division of llkeston, county court district of Alfreton, rural deanery of Heanor, archdeaconry of Chesterfield and diocese of Derby. Water is supplied by the llkeston and Heanor Water Co. and gas by the Derby Gas Light and Coke Co. Ltd. Electricity is available. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1844, from the parishes of Denby, Heanor and Pentrich. The church of St. James, erected in 1844, about midway between the two villages, is a plain building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel and nave, and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing one bell: a stained east window was erected in 1898, in memory of Mr. George Woolley, his wife and daughter: in 1890 the chancel was entirely rebuilt, a vestry erected and the church redecorated and reseated: there are 517 sittings. The register dates from 1844. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £380, with residence, in the gift of the Crown and held since 1935 by the Rev. Thomas Stanley Lupton B.A. of the Royal University, Ireland. There are Methodist chapels and a Church reading room. The cemetery comprises about an acre, and adjoins the churchyard. There is a lych-gate at the entrance to the cemetery erected in memory of the' men from this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. In 1705 Jonathan Tantum left a house, the rent of which averages £11 yearly; two-thirds of this sum (less trustees' expenses) are given to the poor at Christmas, and the remainder is paid to the trustees of the Heanor Friends' Meeting. There is another small charity left by the Rev. Francis Gisborne, of Staveley, amounting to about 15s. yearly, which is also distributed to the poor. The principal landowners are the Butterley Company Limited, the trustees of the late Ven. Archdeacon Woolley D.D. (d. 1892), and Capt. Reginald George Woolley. The soil is clayey; subsoil, clayey. The land is principally pasture. The area is 2,839 acres of land and inland water; the population of Codnor and Loscoe civil parish in 1931 was 5,791 and of the ecclesiastical parish, 4,952.

Waingroves, in the Codnor postal delivery, is for ecclesiastical purposes in this parish, but for all civil purposes was annexed to Ripley under the Divided Parishes Act, in 1888; the names will be found under Ripley.

Codnor Gate hamlet is half a mile north.
Cross Hill and Wood Linkin are places in the parish.
Post, M. P. & T. Office. Letters through Derby

Conveyance.-Omnibuses run to Heanor & Alfreton
Trolley buses to & from Nottingham & Ripley, pass through
L. M. & S. Railway Co. (Langley l"lill station), collect and
deliver here

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.  
 
Bircumshaw Joseph, Ormonde fields
Broomhead Rev. George W. (Methodist), The Manse
Creed Henry, 100 High street  
Drabble Charles Edgar, Jessop lodge
Eyre Mrs. The Farmlet .
Fowkes Mrs. Harboro' house, High street
Fowkes Mrs. Wright street
Lupton Rev. Thomas Stanley B.A. (vicar), Vicarage
Thomson George M.B
Webb Miss, Denby lane
Wood C. B., J.P. 34 High street
 
Commercial
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
 
Abbott Lois (Mrs.), wool shop, 17 High st
Abbott Malcolm, farmer, Denby village
Allsop Betsy (Mrs.), shopkpr
Allsop Wm. hairdrssr. 19 Market pI
Anthony Jas. shopkpr. 46 Wright st
Bestwick Jn. G. nurseryman, 2 Heanor rd
Bircumshaw Jsph. consulting engnr. to the Butterley Co. Ltd. Ormonde fields
Blakey Elijah, boot repr. Heanor rd
Boat Inn (Harry Rawson), Stoneyford
Bostock Wm. butcher, Market pI
Briddon S. smallholder, Denby Ia.
Burton's Stores. grocers, 17 Market pI
Burton A. (Mrs.) grocer, High st. Ripley 5Y2
Byers & Co. linen drapers, Heanor rd
Cemetery (Arthur Floyde Pine,clerk), Cross Hill  
Clarke Bernard H. butcher, Mill la
Clarke Thos. butcher, 25 High st  
Codnor Sports & Athletic Club (Miners' Welfare) (W. Ratcliffe, steward)
Costello A. fried fish dIr. 9 Market pI.
Cresswell Geo. shopkpr. 56 Mill la. 
Crown Inn (Rd. Goodson), Alfreton rd
Curzon Alice (Mrs.), shopkpr. 33 Alfreton rd
Daykin Nellie (Mrs.), draper, 47 Heanor rd
Derbyshire Building Society (branch), CrossHill schools
Devonport Thorpe, florist, Alfreton rd
Eyre Hiram, retail ironmngr.16Market pl.
*FaIder Jn. farmer, Castle farm (letters through Ironville)
Foulds Bert, shopkpr. 26 Heanor rd
French Horn P.H. (John Blackwell), Nottingham rd
Gate Inn (Leslie Turner), Codnor gate
Gill Joshua, hardware dlr. Cross Hill
Glass House Inn (Jn. Thos. Jeffrey Riley)
Goodall Bros. farmers, Wood Linkin (letters through Langley Mill)
Grainger Alfd. shopkpr. 151 Codnor gate
Graney Fredk. Percy, painter, 32 High st
Hawley Herbt. baker, 3 Wright st
Henshaw Thomas, bone & ligament specialist, Crosshill. Langley Mill 318
Hesketh Alb. Wm. grocer, 90 Heanor rd
Hicking L. M. (Mrs.), shopkpr. l Heanor rd
Hill Chas. L. farmer, Crosshill. Langley Mill 431
Hodgkinson Wm. H. Miners' Arms P.H. 38 Mill lane
Holland Louisa (Mrs.), shopkpr. Crosshill
Holmes Jn. farmer, Brook farm (letters through Loscoe, Derby)
Holmes Jsph. poultry farmer, 46 Heanor rd
Houghton Hy. Farmer, Stoneyford (letters through Ironville)
Hudson Jn. Chas. grocer, 40 Jessop st
Hurst Jn. H. chemist, 1High st. Ripley 5XI
Hurst Thos. drug store, 60 Heanor rd
Inger Wm. C. wireless accessories dlr, Mill lane
Jessop Arms J.H. (Harry Wood), 47 Jessop st
Kemp W. G. statnr. & post office.Ripley 29
Leake Albt. Edwd. farmer, Crosshill
Lewis Ellen (Miss) S.R.N., S.C.M. nurse, 35 Nottingham rd
Lord Byron P.h. (Fredk. Hunt) Mill La
Lowe Wm. H. farmer, Breach farm (letters through Derby)
Ludlam Arth, shopkpr. 15 High st
Lynam Chas. fruitr. 86 Heanor rd
Lynam Geo. farmer, Codnor Gate farm
Maddison W. B. (Mrs.), confctnr. 12 Market pI
Martin Alfd. Harry, tailor, 20 Heanor rd
Miners' Arms P.H. (W. H. Hodgkinson), 38 Mill la
Moss Dennis, shopkpr. Cross hill
Mullard Winifred (Miss), ladies hair-dresser 12 Alfreton Rd
Murfin Sydney, shopkpr. 13 Jessop st
National Deposit Friendly Society (Jn. Thos. Searson, sec.) Glasshouse hill
New Inn (Jas. Thorpe), Alfreton Rd
Nicholson Albt. newsagt, 11 High st
Ormonde Fields Golf Club (E. F. Beckett, sec.), Nottingham rd
Parkin Florence (Miss), shopkpr 20 Wright st
Parr Bert, farmer, Hall farm, Nottingham rd
Piper Harry, baker, 19 High st
Ratcliffe Gladys (Mrs.), shopkpr 6 Mill lane
Rawson Harry, Boat inn, Stoneyford
Reddish Fredk. Harold, boot & shoe mkr. 21 High st
Redfern Olive (Mrs.), shopkpr. Nottingham rd
Ripley Provident Industrial & Co·operative Society Ltd. (branch), Mill La.  Codnor gate
Rodway-Barnes Wm. A.R.D.S. teacher of art, Denby lane 
Roworth Mabel (Mrs.), shopkpr. 56 Denby La. 
Rowarth' Wm. farmer, Searson farm Denby la
Searson Geo. farmer, Meadow & Acorn farms
Searson Lawrence E. insur. agt. Hillcrest drive
Severn Geoge.house furnisher, 20 Market pl.
Slack Edwd. E. fruitr. 11a, High st
Sportsman's Inn (Jn. N. Drury), 1 Jessop st 
Stephenson Amy (Mrs.) S.R.N. district nurse (attends daily),19 Heanor rd
Stone Harold, decrtr
Syson's Garage, motor engnrs. Codnor gate. Ripley 197
Tagg Fanny (Mrs.), milliner, 18 Market pl
Tagg Jn. draper, 12 Mill lane
Thomson Geo. M.B., C.M. Aberd. physcn. & surgn. Heanor rd. Ripley 50
Thorntree Inn (Hy. Stanley Brown), Wood Linkin (letters through Langley Mill)
Tissington Thos. motor engnr. High st. Ripley 5X3
Turner Geo. H. confctnr. 60 High st 
Watson .Alfd. butcher, 14 Market pl.
Westminster Bank Ltd. (open mon 11.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m.) (.Alfd. Edmnd. Wells, mngr.); head office, 41 Lothbury, London E C 2
Wetton Lilian Mabel (Mrs.), draper, High st
Willis Margaretta (Miss), ladies' hairdresser. 66 Heanor rd
Woolley Jsph. farmer, Home farm, Alfreton rd
Wright Arth. Hy. & Son, butchers, Alfreton rd
Wright Eliz. (Mrs.), newsagt. 40 High st

 
Make a Free Website with Yola.