Extracts from  
Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire 1932

Codnor is a Civil Parish. By an order of the County Council and by local government board Order No. 39,199, which came into operation 1st April, 1899. This parish was include in the Urban District of Heanor. Codnor has a station at Crosshill, on the Heanor & Ripley branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, 5 miles South-east from Alfreton, 6 North-east from Belper, 2 West from Heanor, 2 East fom Ripley, 9 from Derby and 11 from Nottingham, in the Ilkeston division of the county,hundred of Morleston & Litchurch, petty sessional division of Ilkeston, county court district of Alfreton, rural deanery of Heanor, archdeaconry of Chesterfield and diocese of Derby. Water is supplied by the Ilkeston & Heanor Water Co. and gas by the Langley mill and Heanor Gas Light and Coke Co. Limited. The ecclesiastical parish was formed 1st Oct 1844, from the parishes of Denby, Heanor and Pentrich. The church of St. James, erected in 1844, at a cost of £2000, and situated near the railway station, about midway between the two villages, is a plain building of stone, in the gothic style, consisting of chancel and nave, and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing one bell: a stained east window was erected in 1898 in memory of Dr. George Woolley, his wife and daughter: in 1890 the chancel was entirely rebuilt, a vestry erected and the church redecorated and reseated at a cost of £1800, under the direction of J. Holden Esq. F.R.I.B.A. : there are 517 sittings. The register dates from the year 1844. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £400, with residence in the gift of the Crown and held since 1930 by the Rev. Harold William Pinchbeck BA of Keble College, Oxford. There are Wesleyan, United Methodist and Primitive Methodist chapels and a church reading room. The cemetary comprises about an acre, and adjoins the churchyard. There is a Lych-gate at the entrance to the cemetery, erected at a cost of £600, in memory of the men from this parish who gave their lives in the Great War, 1914-1918. The principal land owners are the Butterley Company Limited, the trustees of the late Ven. Archdeacon Woolley D.D. (died 1892) and James John  Arthur Woolley esq. J.P. the soil is clayey; subsoil, clayey.The land is principally pasture. The area is 1,917 acres of land and 14 of water: The population in 1921 was 4,994.

Codnor Gate hamlet is half a mile north.
Crosshill and Woodlinken are places in the parish.
Post, M.O., T. & T.E.D. office. Letters through Derby.

Conveyance
Omnibuses run to Heanor & Alfreton
Tramway cars, to & from Nottingham & Ripley, run through the parish
Railway station - Crosshill & Codnor LMS Railway Co.(Ripley station), collect and deliver here.

Private Residents

Blowers Joseph, Sole Bay
Creed Henry, 100 High Street
Edward Drabble, Jessop Lodge
Mrs Eyre The Farmlet
Fowkes A.F.Wright Street
Hosegood G.F., B.Sc
Marlow Rev. Thomas (United Methodist)
   71 High Street
Mitton Hy. Eustace J.P. Ormonde Fields
Moss Rev. Frank Anderson B.A.
  (curate of St. James) Denby lane
Peake Samuel, The Limes
Pinchbeck Rev Harold William B.A.
   (vicar), Vicarage
Thomson George M.B
Wood C.B. 34 High Street

Commercial

Marked * = farm 150 acres or over
Abbott Malcolm, farmer Denby
   Village
Allsopp Wm, Hairdresser. 19 Market
   place
Anthony Jas. shopkpr. 46 Wright
   Street
Barker Jn. Boot & shoe dlr 20 High
   street.
Beniston Jn. Thos. Jessop Arms
   47 Jessop Street
Blackwell Jn. French Horn PH
   Nottingham Rd.
Blakey Elijah, Boot repairer. 6 Mill
   lane
Bostock Wm. Butcher, Market
   place
Bradshaw Jas. Cyril, shopkpr
   151 Codnor Gate
Brown Jn. New Inn PH, Alfreton
   Road
*Brown Wm. farmer, Woodlinken
Burtons Stores, Grocers, 17 Market
   place
Burton Thomas. Grocer. High Street
Byers & Co. Linen Drapers, Heanor
   Road
Cemetery, (Arthur Floyde Pine,
   clerk) Crosshill
Clarke Thomas, Butcher. 25 High St
Codnor Sports & Athletics club (Miners Welfare)( Ernest Lamb, sec)  J Walters steward.
Cook Percy, Thorntree Wood Linkin
Cope Edith B, draper 47 Heanor Road
Copnall Chas. Blacksmith. Alfreton Rd
Cresswell Geo. shopkpr 56 Mill    Lane
Cresswell Rosie May (Miss)    L.L.C.M. music teacher, white         house Crosshill
Curzon Alice, shopkpr. Alfreton Rd
Devonport Alfred, fried fish dealer
   9 Market Place
Devonport Thorpe, Florist. Alfreton    Road
Dring Alice, shopkpr. 13 Jessop Street
Drury Jn. Beer Retailer. 1 Jessop    Street
Eyre Hiram, retail ironmonger.
   16 Market place
Foulds Herbt, shopkpr. Heanor Rd
   Gill Joshua, shopkpr. 32 Jessop    street
Graney Fredk. Percy, painter. 32
   High Street
Hawley Thos. J, Butcher. 3 Wright    Street
Hesketh Albt. Wm, grocer 90 Heanor Road
Hill Chas. L, farmer, Crosshill
Holmes Jn. farmer, Brook farm
Houghton Hy. farmer, Stoneyford
Hudson Jn. Chas. grocer, 49
   Jessop Street
Inger V.(Mrs) shopkpr. Nottingham road

Kemp W.G. statnr. post office

Kensit Hw. Thos. grocer 4 Mill lane
Lamplough Rd. W. grocer 64
   Jessop Street
Langton Thos. (Mrs) pork butcher
Leake Albert Edward, farmer
   Crosshill
Ludlow Arthur, shopkpr. 15 High St.
Lynam Geo. farmer, Codnor Gate farm
Maddison W.B. (Mrs) confctnr 12
   Market Place
Mellors Herbt. greengro. Heanor Rd
Midand Bank Ltd (sub branch to
   Ripley)(open thurs 11.30am to 2pm) head office, Poultry, London EC2
Mitton Henry Eustace, mining Eng.
   to the Butterley Co. Limited and
   general manager of their Derby's
   and Nott's collieries. Ormonde
   Fields House.
Morley Geo. Gate Inn, Codnor Gate
National Deposit Friendly Society
   (Jn. Thos Scarron sec)
   Glasshouse hill
Nicholson Albt, newsagt. 11 High    Street
Osborn Wn. farmer, Mirey Lees
Palmer Geo. shopkpr. 2 Mill Lane
Parkin Florence. shopkeeper
   20 Wright Street
Parkin Jn. smallholder, Glasshouse
   hill
Ratcliffe Wm. Crown Inn PH
   70 Alfreton Road
Rawson Harry, Boat Inn Stoneyford
Reddish Fredk.Harold, boot & shoe
   maker
Ridyard Clement W. M.P.S. chemist 1 High Street
Riley John Thomas Jeffrey, Old
   Glasshoue PH
Ripley Provident Industrial &
   Co-operative Society Ltd (branch)
   Mill Lane
Robinson Hy. farmer, Fields farm
Rodway-Barnes Wm. A.R.D.S.
   teacher of art, Denby Lane
Roworth Wm. farmer. Searson
   farm Denby Lane
Seals Miss, draper, 17 High St
Searson Alex, shopkpr Heanor Rd
Searson Geo. farmer, Meadow Farm
Severn Geo. house furnisher, 20
   Market place
Sheldon jas. painter & decrtr.
   19 High Street
Smith Calvert Gregory, Miners Arms 38 Mill Lane
Spence Jas. smallholder, Denby la.
Steeples Matthew, farmer, Hall Farm Nottingham Road
Tagg Fanny (Mrs) milliner, 18
   Market Street
Tagg Jn. greengro. 12 Mill lane
Taylor Cyril, shopkpr, 9 Mill lane
Thomson Geo. M.B.,C.M. Aberd.
   physen & surgn. and medical
   officer to south Eastern Area
   Guardians Committee
   Heanor Road
Tissington Geo. smallholder,
   Crosshill
Tissington Thos. motor engineer
   High Street
Turner Geo. confetnr 60 High St.
Watson Alfred, butcher, 14 Market
   place
Watson Mary A (Mrs) fried fish
   15 Jessop street
Westminster Bank Ltd (open 11.30
   am  to 1.30pm) (Alfd. Edmd.
   Wells mngr) head office 41
   Lothbury London EC2
Wetton Lilian Mabel (Mrs) draper
   High Street
Woolley Jsph. farmer, Home Farm
   Alfreton Road
Woolley Wm. shopkpr, Alfreton Rd
Wright Arth. Hy. & Son, Butchers
   Alfreton Road
Wright Arth. greengro. 65 Heanor Rd
Wright Eliz. (Mrs) newsagt

 
Make a Free Website with Yola.