Extracts from  
Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire 1922

Codnor & Loscoe are hamlets constituting a Civil Parish. By an order of the County Council and by local government board Order No. 39,199, which came into operation 1st April, 1899. This parish was include in the Heanor Urban District Council. Codnor has a station at Crosshill, on the Heanor & Ripley branch of the Midland railway. The ecclesiastical parish was formed 1st Oct 1844, from the parishes of Denby, Heanor and Pentrich. The church of St. James, erected in 1844, at a cost of £2000, and situated near the railway station, about midway between the two villages, is a plain building of stone, in the gothic style, consisting of chancel and nave, and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing one bell. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, with residence in the alternate gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Southwell, and held since 1914 by the Rev. Samuel Elder M.A of Trinity College Dublin. There are Wesleyan, United Methodist and Primitive Methodist chapels and a church reading room. The principal land owners are the Butterley Company Limited, the trustees of the late Ven. Archdeacon Woolley D.D. (died 1892) and James John  Arthur Woolley esq. J.P. The land is principally pasture. The area is 1,917 acres of land and 14 of water: rateable value, £20,026: The population in 1911 was 4,562 and of the ecclesiastical parish, 5,433.

Private Residents
Cherry Rev. W (United Methodist)
  The Manse
Dribble Edward, Jessop Lodge
Elder Rev. Samuel M.A (vicar), Vicarage
Eyre Mrs. The Farmlet
Fowkes A.F.
Fowkes Frank, Codnor Gate
Mitton Henry Eustace, Ormonde Fields
Peake Samuel, Codnor Gate
Peile Rev. Isaac Powe (curate), Thornville
Severn Samuel, Codnor Gate
Shelton Harold, Crosshill
Thomson George M.B.,C.M
Thorpe Albert Henry, Codnor Gate
Woolley Miss, Crosshill house

 

 

Commercial
* = farm of 150 acres or over
*Abbott Malcolm, Farmer
Bailey Henry, Green Grocer
Bostock William, Jun. Butcher
*Brown William, Farmer
Buckley Emma (Mrs), shopkeeper
Burton Joseph & Sons Limited, grocers
Burton Thomas, grocer
Butt Walker H, New Inn (PH)
Buxton Benjamin, shopkeeper
Byers James, Linin draper
Cemetery (Arthur Floyd Pine, Clerk) Crosshill
Clarke Francis, Farmer Crosshill
Clarke William Henry, Butcher
Capnall Charles, blacksmith
Davis Edward William, Gate Inn (PH)
Duke Edith (Mrs), shopkeeper
Evens Ernest, china & glass dealer
Eyres John, greengrocer
Exton John, Thorntree Inn (PH)
Fowkes L.A. & F, joiners
Gaunt William, shopkeeper
Gent James, collector of district rates for Heanor Urban District Council, Wright Street
Gill German, General Dealer
Grainger John, grocer
Graney Frederick Percy, painter

Haines William, Jessop Arms (PH)
Hardy William, shopkeeper
Holbrook John & Sons, stone masons
Holmes John, Farmer, Stoneyford
Humphreys A & H, drapers
Kensit Henry Thomas, grocer
Knight Edward, grocer
Langton John Edward, beer retailer
Langton Thomas, Pork butcher
London County Westminster & Parr's
  Bank Limited (open mon 11.30am to
  1.15pm) (Henry J Windle manager);
  draw on head office, Threadneedle
street London EC2
Massey H, French Horn (PH)
Mitton Henry Eustace,mining engineer
  to the Butterley Co. Limited & general
  manager of their Derbyshire &
  Nottinghamshire colleries
  Ormonde Fields House
Peake Edward, grocer & provision dealer
Peake Henry William, watch maker
Phillips George, beer retailer
Pym William Joseph, grocer
Ridyard Clement W, Chemist
Ripley Provident Industrial & Co-operative
  Society Limited (branch)
Searson George, farmer, Meadow farm
Searson Mary Ann, Lord Byron (PH)
Severn George, furniture buyer
Severn Sydney A, stationery, & post
  office
Severn Thomas, baker
Sheldon James, painter & decorator
Spendlove Geo. Wm, Boat Inn
  Stoneyford (PH)
Steeples Matthew, farmer
Tagg Timothy, musical instrument dealer
Thomson George M.B., C.M,Aberd.
  Physician & surgeon, & medical officer
  to Basford Union
Thorpe Frank, Old Glass House (PH)
Turner George, confectioner
Walker Benjamin, Miners Arms (PH)
Watson Mary A. (Mrs), hardware dealer
Watson Thomas Henry, butcher
Wooley Joseph Poundall (Mrs), farmer
Wright Arthur Henry & Son, butchers
Wright J & Sons, news agents
Wright James, grocer

Schools 
Council ( formerly the United Methodist school ), erected in 1872, reorganized 1910, for 240 infants: Miss E North, infants mistress 
Council (mixed), erected in 1912, for  320 boys & girls; Colin B, Wood, master 
Church Elementary, erected in 1844, for 161 boys, 130 girls, & 150 infants; Arthur Floyd Pine, master. 
 
Transport 
Railway Station, Crosshill 
Tramway cars, to & from Nottingham & Ripley, run through the parish half-hourly. 
 
Post M.O.,T. & T.E.D. office, Codnor - Sidney Severn sub-postmaster. Letters received from Derby.

 
Make a Free Website with Yola.