Extracts from

kelly's Directory of Derbyshire 1912

Codnor and Loscoe are hamlets constituting a civil parish. By an order of the County Council and by local government board Order No. 39,199, which came into operation 1st April, 1899. This parish was included in the Heanor Urban District Council. Codnor has a station at Crosshill, on the Heanor & Ripley branch of the Midland railway. The ecclesiastical parish was formed 1st Oct 1844, from the parishes of Denby, Heanor and Pentrich. The church of St. James, erected in 1844, at a cost of £2000, and situated near the railway station, about midway between the two villages, is a plain building of stone, in the gothic style, consisting of chancel and nave, and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing one bell. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £210, with residence in the alternate gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Southwell, and held since 1884 by the Rev. William Bates, Lic. Theol. of University College, Durham. There are Wesleyan, United Methodist, and Primitive Methodist and a church reading room. The cemetary comprises about an acre and adjoins the churchyard; The principal land owners are The Butterley Company Limited, Henry Charles Vickers Hunter Esq. of Abermarlais Park, Llangadock, The trestees of the late Ven, Archdeacon Woolley D.D.. Rector of east Bergholt, Suffolk, (died 1892) and James John Arthur Woolley Esq. J.P. of Loscoe The soil is clayey, subsoil clayey. The land is principally pasture. The area is 1917 acres of land and 14 of water; rateable value £15,717; the population in 1901 was 3,831 and of the ecclesiastical parish 4,604.

Private Residents
Bates Rev. William, Vicarage
Eyre William, The Farmlet
Fowkes Frank
Hanlon Edward, Crosshill
Mitton Henry Eustace,
  Ormonde Fields House
Peake Samuel, Homeleigh
Peile Rev. Isaac Powe (curate)
Severn Albert Henry, Codnor gate
Slack Rev. James (United Methodist)
  The Manse
Thomson George M.B., c.m.
Thorpe Albert Henry, Codnor Gate
Warren John
Woolley Miss, Crosshill house

Commercial
Anthony James, grocer
Bailey Henry, greengrocer
Beresford Henry Beecroft,
  Grocer
Bostock William Sen.,
  Miners Arms (PH)
Bostock William, Jn. Butcher
Brown William, farmer
Burton Thomas, grocer
Butt Walter H. New Inn
Byers James, linen draper
Cemetery (Arthur Floyd Pine,
  Clerk), Crosshill
Clarke Francis, farmer Crosshill
Clarke William Henry, butcher
Cresswell Jn. Thos. French Horn (PH)
Crompton & Evens, Union Bank
  Limited (sub branch) (Henry J.
  Windle manager) (open mon.
11.30am to 1.30pm) draw on
  Glyn Mills, Currie & Co. London
Fowkes L.A. & F, joiners
Gaunt William, shopkeeper
Gent Caphas, shopkeeper
Gent James, collector of district
  rates for Heanor Urban District
  Council, Wright street.
Gill German’ general dealer
Grainger John, grocer
Grainger Mary Ann (Mrs),
  shopkeeper
Grainger Thorpe Alexander, grocer
Graney Frederick Percy, painter
Gratton Mary Ann (Mrs),
  Farmer
Hardy William, shopkeeper
Haywood William, beer retailer
Holbrook John & Sons,
  stone masons
Holmes John, farmer, Stoneyford
Kensit Henry Thos. Grocer &
  draper, post office.
Kniveton Edward, shopkeeper
Langton John Edward, beer retailer
Langton Thomas, pork butcher
Lickley James, Thorntree Inn

London City & Midland Bank
  Limited (sub branch to Ripley)
  (open thurs 11.30am to 2pm)
  draw on head office, threadneedle
  street London E C
Matkin John Thomas, hardware dealer


Mitton Henry Eustace, mining
  Engineer to the Butterley Company
  Ltd and general manager of their
  Derbyshire & Nottingham
  Collieries, Ormonde Fields

Parker Rowland, Jessop Arms (PH)
Peake Edward, grocer & provision
  dealer
Peake William Henry, watchmaker
Potter Joseph, farmer
Pym William Joseph, grocer
Richardson John, shopkeeper
Ridyard Clement W, pharmacist,
  Chemist
Ripley Provident Industrial &
  Co-operative Society Limited
  (branch)
Searson George, farmer, Meadow
  farm
Searson James, painter & dec.
Steeples & Co. , boot makers
Steeples George, baker
Steeples Matthew, farmer
Steeples William, Boat Inn (PH)
  Stoneyford
TaggTimothy, musical instrument
  dealer
Taylor Emelie (Mrs), assistant
Overseer & collector of poor rates
  Crosshill
Thomson George M.B., C.M.Aberd
physician & surgeon
Thorle James, draper
Watson George, hardware dealer
Watson Thomas Henry, butcher
Whysall Edwin, Old Glass House (PH)
Wood John, blacksmith
Woolley Charles, farmer
Woolley Joseph Poundall, farmer
Wright Arthur Henry & Sons, butchers
Wright J & Sons, news agents
Wright Fras. Beer retailer. Codnor Gate

Waingroves, in the Codnor postal delivery, is for ecclesiastical purposes in this parish but for civil purposes was annexed to Ripley under the Divided Parishes Act in 1888.
Codnor Gate hamlet is half a mile north: Loscoe is 1 mile south.
Crosshill and Woodlinkin are places in the parish. Parish clerk, Thomas Severn.
Post M.O. & T. Office – Henry Thomas Kensit, sub-postmaster. Letters received from Derby at 6am & 4.10pm; despatched at 9.50am & 6 & 7.50pm; no Sunday delivery.
Post Office Loscoe – Mrs Sarah Allen, sub-postmistress. Letters received from Derby at 7am & 5pm; despatched 9.10am & 5.20 & 8.15pm; no Sunday delivery. Codnor, I male distant, is nearest money order & telegraph office.
Wall letter boxes – Crosshill, cleared at 9.15am & 5.30 & 8.10pm week days only, Loscoe, cleared 9am & 5.20 & 8.20pm week days only; Waingroves cleared at 6.45pm; Woodlinkin 8am & 3.30pm
Schools
Public Elementary
, erected in 1844, for 161 boys, 130 girls & 150 infants; average attendance, 160 boys, 80 girls, 91 infants; Arthur Floyd Pine, master; Miss Sarah Hindmarsh, mistress; Eliza Dicken, infants mistress
Council (formally the United Methodist school), erected in 1872, re-organized 1910, for 240 infants; average attendance, 140; Miss E North, infants mistress.
Public Elementary, Loscoe, erected 1895, for 220 children ; average attendance, 195; Miss Violet Hampson mistress; Miss Mary Gillott. Infants mistress.
Council (mixed), erected in 1912, for 320 boys & girls; average attendance, 245; Colin B. Wood master
Railway Station Crosshill

 
Make a Free Website with Yola.